Thursday, July 26, 2007

Count your blessings!

Deleted my last immature post. Instead, I am sharing Gene's wisdom with you:

"Doing the work I do (and, from what I understand of you - the work you do would certainly meet the test), all I need to do when I'm feeling under-appreciated or "un-blessed," as it where, is to get up from my desk and walk around this place and see those folks that I'm dedicated to helping, and the heroes that I am privileged to work with everyday. Then, I don't need to be told what I can see for myself. I AM blessed...the evidence is undeniable and the truth unimpeachable (and the spelling of that last adjective, um, well - unreliable...)

When we get down, we also get ourselves all turned-inward, and we can wear that misery like a blanket, insulating us from not just the injury, but also from the good things we have with us. Alcohol, drugs, work, sex - they can all do it, too. There's nothing wrong with being sensitive to our injury, as long as we enjoy this in moderation, just as those volatile elements above. We must be careful we don't begin to rely on it as a sole source of our energy - we can't let it define us. It's interesting how the phrase "spiraling down" is used with addiction, alcoholism and depression, isn't it? Is there anything more inward-turning than a spiral????? Anyway, I digress....

I know this might sound simplistic, even a bit glib or condescending; but, it isn't meant that way...

Shake that blanket off for just a few minutes, and count your blessings. But - really - count 'em good. Don't leave anything out, don't gyp yourself...

Then, take a look at that list and see if you don't feel a bit better!

I'll betcha do, my friend.

Hey - I see you're here on MY list!

Cheers,

-Gene

PS: This lengthy note is brough to you courtesy of a Starbucks double espresso taken at 3 in the afternoon..."

Labels:


|
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com