Monday, March 26, 2007

Chris Gardner is a living inspiration!

Saw "The Pursuit of Happyness" today. This is going to a movie that's going to stick with me for awhile. Inspirational movies are being produced less and less in Hollywood these days (aside from those endless baseball/football/basketball-themed films). The last one I remembered watching consciously was "Forrest Gump," and that was years ago. Hence I had been wanting to see "Pursuit" since I heard about it last year.

Chris Gardner is a truly inspirational character. You can read more about his biography here. What particularly struck a cord with me was when Gardner said to his son in the basketball court, "If you have a dream, you gotta protect it. Don't let anybody tell you that you can't do something. Not even me."

Gardner's story shows us that hard work is mandatory. But the extra stuff you get in life is about how much you really want it. If you want it, you'll have to go get it.

In my four years of working as a lawyer in the USA, I had ups and downs. I used to a rather passive person, but those four years trained me to be a positively active person. Some people are luckier than me; things just fall on their laps. But I don't envy them because I knew a long time ago I'm the type of person who has to fight for things to happen. Now I just go grab my chances and give 100% of my heart.

I am not afraid of being in a disadvantaged position because nothing can shake my confidence anymore. My HK trip has turned out to be a surprisingly lovely journey because I have a strong support network both in and outside of school. So I want to thank my family, friends, and even some amazing acquaintances for giving me the support and encouragement that I need. And trust me, I'll give it back and bounce it around. Because you can't use up encouragement; it's endless.

What is remarkable about Gardner's career is that he does a lot of charity work and gives back to society. Not only is he wealthy in the conventional sense, but he also understands the true quality of life. "Wealth" is not measured by how much money you make, but by how much you enrich people's lives around you, one at a time. So I dedicated this entry to those who have and continue to inspire me. Thank you for making me strong and rich throughout all these years!

Labels: , , , , , ,


|
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com