Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The 2007 Blues Awards nominations just came out!

For those who dig the blues, this is like the Oscars (not Grammys). It used to be called the W.C. Handy Awards, and it has been renamed two years ago. Only the best of the best get nominated, and I'm happy to announce many of my dear friends (and many with whom I've shared the stage) got nominated this year!

In particular, congratulations to:
Mitch Woods (Pinetop Perkins Piano Player of the Year)
Deanna Bogart (Instrumentalist - Saxophone)
Mookie Brill (Instrumentalist - Bass)

My last three official blues gigs were with these great artists. The gig with Mitch Woods was my first gig back at HK. To my pleasant surprise, he was nominated just a month after I played with him! How much more privileged can I be?


Sittin' in with Mitch Woods in HK

Also, Deanna is a true heroine of mine, so I was especially delighted by her nomination. (Query: why isn't Deanna nominated for piano player for the year instead?) I still remember sitting in with her band and wowing the crowd on NYE just last year at Rams Head Tavern (one of my dream venues). Deanna's generosity makes me realize how everything is possible. She's a truly grateful person and she has done so much for me to help me advance in the blues world. I can't thank her enough!


With Deanna at Rams Head, NYE 2006


With Mookie Brill at State Theatre

Unfortunately, my good friend Bob Margolin did not get nominated for guitarist this year (he won 2 years ago), but we all know he's dynamite.

Honorary mentions:
Cephas & Wiggins (Acoustic Artist & Album of the Year)
Tab Benoit (B.B. King Entertainer of the Year, Contemporary Blues Male Artist of the Year)
Honey Piazza (Pinetop Perkins Piano Player of the Year)




With Phil Wiggins at Kennedy Center


With Tab Benoit after sitting in with him


With Honey & Rod Piazza at Rams Head

For the complete list of the nominations, click here.

As my friend Wave Milor always says, "Good blues to ya."

|
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com