Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Another writeup

Dave W. of Bandwatchers.com wrote the following about me on his website:

"Henry "Sonny Boy" Chung To Return To Hong Kong

Every few years, if you are lucky, you meet someone who makes a deep impression on you. For the past year Henry Chung has done just that for us. Dubbed the number 2 harmonica player from Hong Kong, behind William Tang, Henry has been cruising the local blues scene for about 4 years. It's been our honor to be a small part of this honorable man's journey. In a mere 4 years Henry has become an encyclopedia of the blues. He has played alongside just about everyone in the Region while being the featured harmonica player for Clarence "The Bluesman" Turner. Henry has put together lineups that bring out the fans as well as musicians. Before he leaves Henry will perform at several great events including another gig with the legendary Bob Margolin on Friday August 18 at a venue that will soon be announced. This is a MUST SEE event that will cap an awesome run for "Sonny Boy".

We hope Henry will consider MD, DC, and VA his second home. Thanks to email and the Internet Henry will only be a couple clicks away. But the pleasure of having him right here in Maryland can't be replaced by technology. Henry's excellence needs to be witnessed in person. For that reason we hope from the heart he will make the occasional trip back to this Region to visit and make music with his fans and friends.

Be safe dear friend, you are greatly appreciated."

I'd like to thank Dave for writing the above. Out of all the criticisms and praises I've gotten in the past 4 years, this was the closest to the truth. I started from being booed and kicked out of jam sessions to sitting in as a sideman of Jesse James Brown to becoming the No. 2 man in the Clarence Turner Band to playing alongside some of the best blues players in the Mid-Atlantic Region. What a dream! I've often said to people, "My work is complete in the United States." What more can a poor boy want? I'm sitting on the top of the world.

I've had my fair share of critics, many of whom want me to improve, for which I'm deeply grateful. Some of whom, however, criticize me for the sake of criticism and never saw me perform. I ignore the latter.

There are many people I'd like to thank, but I'm afraid I might forget a few: Lee Hailey for bringing me out of the Vegas Lounge jam session to meet Jesse James; Jesse James for letting me sit in and play the harp in a real setting; Pam Bricker for her angelic voice, lovely manner, and constant encouragement; same goes for Wayne Wilentz and Jim West and the U-Topia folks; Tim for pointing me in the right direction for playing the harp; Tommy Chung for giving me the opportunity to sit in with him in Hong Kong; Bill Heid for coining me "Sonny Boy" and teaching me everything about the blues; Big Joe Maher for enlightening me with his impeccable knowledge of the music and helping me reach a higher level of excellency by willing to play with me; Dave & Becky Weatherford & Jane Dunie for their constant support and unbending encouragement; Bob Margolin for being excited and going out of his way to help me reach my goals; last but not least, Clarence "The Bluesman" Turner for picking me up from the gutter, nurturing me, being patient with me, and going through all the good and bad times with me in the last 4 years. Without Clarence, there would not be HSBC.

My official farewell gig is on Aug 4 at Bohemian Caverns. But come to Shilla Bakery this Saturday (July 22) for kicks, and bubble tea! Please!

|
Comments:
This is a very good tip especially to those new to the blogosphere.
Simple but very accurate information… Thanks for sharing this one.
A must read post!

Feel free to visit my web blog weight control
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com