Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Aftermath of the Golden Globes

It's that time of the year to indulge myself in one of my disingenuous posts. The Golden Globes. I watched it last night and came to the following conclusions:

Mary-Louise Parker looked absolutely exquisite.

Back to the speeches. Steve Carell, Geena Davis, and Hugh Laurie gave the best speeches, with superb comic timing. Sandra Oh's acceptance speech was heartfelt but rushed and confused. She acted like a maniac. Reese Witherspoon's speech was as well-paced and elegant as she looked last night. She was radiant. Was Joaquin Phoenix on crack when he was on stage?

All in all, the TV people gave much better speeches than the Hollywood people.

Onto the dresses, or overall looks. Kate Beckinsale was a 10. Also I was charmed by Charlize Theron, Natalie Portman, Keira Knightley, Jessica Alba, Michelle Williams, Reese. Oh, and didn't I mention Mary-Louise Parker, who also said she'd like to make out with every one of her cast members. Now I'm really curious about "Weeds."

Faux pas for Scarlett Johansson. Anne Hathaway was elegant but she looked too pale. Heath Ledger's earrings have got to go. Sorry I digress. Back to the girls. The "Desperate Housewives" looked too desperate to please and ended up having a fashion disaster. The ultimate disaster of the evening was Mariah Carey though. Oh my god. She looked horrible in that dress.

Zhang Ziyi was very appropriate in her dress too. And Russell Crowe surprisingly behaved. I couldn't understand one word coming out of Penelope Cruz's mouth.

Awardwise, "Brokeback" is going to carry over to Oscar's time. P.S. Hoffman seems unstoppable too. Ang Lee's gracious speech may help him finally win an Oscar. Thanks for wishing us happy new year in Chinese too. Witherspoon looks like a "shoo-in" for actress. I still hope Giamatti picks up some steam for the biggie. We'll talk more come awards time.

And I hope I don't see Mariah Carey in that dreadful dress again.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com