Sunday, December 04, 2005

Coolest day ever!

Today was the coolest day ever! I got to hang out with Pinetop Perkins, Willie "Big Eyes" Smith, Bob Margolin and Mookie Brill backstage at State Theatre. These are all my heroes and I got to talk to each of them in depth. My sincere thanks to Steady Rollin' Bob Margolin for going out of his way to do this for me. He really is a great guy, watching out for young players and making sure they're being taken care of. Now this is someone who is a huge star but is down to earth and does not have an ego about this business.

It all came about when I sent Bob an e-mail and told him about my story. Somehow he was fascinated with it and decided I was gutsy. Then we started exchanging e-mails pretty frequently. Usually he would reply within minutes, if he wasn't gigging. I found out he was playing with Pinetop at State Theatre today but the I couldn't come because I had a gig. Luckily the gig was cancelled. So when I e-mailed Bob back, he said he'd put me on the guest list. This is something extra that he did for me, and I am forever grateful for it. I owe him one, and hopefully I can repay him, or transfer the same energy to the younger players.

The show was very cool. It was something I needed to see. For one thing, they're the surviving members of the Muddy Waters band. Since I never had the chance to see Muddy live, these guys are the closest to it. Moreover, Pinetop and Willie are living legends themselves. It was good to be in their presence. And every one of them was so humble and nice and was just very easy to talk to.

I'm also very happy that I got an e-mail from a good friend in Hong Kong that he likes the new compilation CD I made. He says the title "Cool as Hell" is accurate because I'm cool as hell and the songs are too.

But the really cool cats are Bob Margolin, Pinetop, Willie, and Mookie. They're truly very cool.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com