Monday, February 28, 2005

Pick yourself up from the airport

This is a very interesting subject matter I'd like to explore. It started from a casual conversation last night at the Oscar party.

Picking someone up from the airport is a bold, symbolic move. It's less serious than helping someone move but more serious than just giving someone a ride home. It takes initiation and determination. If you offer to take or pick up someone from the airport, it shows that you remotely care about that person.

Evidently, the people who will first volunteer to pick you from the airport are you loved ones: immediate family members, boyfriend, girlfriend, good friend, etc. Casual acquaintances and ordinary friends usually say no. You can't blame them.

However, I'm recently considering even giving airport rides to people who I know only briefly IF THEY ASK ME. Because I know what it feels like to arrive home with nobody picking you up at the airport and you have to wait for a cab or a stupid Super Shuttle (they never come anyway) and pay $50 to get home. It sucks. Unless I'm working or it's 3 o'clock in the morning when I need my sleep or engaging in disorderly conduct, I'll probably say yes to someone who need me to take them to or pick them up at the airport. Just make an appointment with me 2-3 weeks in advance.

The main reason I'm doing this is twofold: 1) I want that person to return the favor when I need it; and 2) to show that I remotely care about that person, whether or not it's true. But it pains me to know that you're losing $50 to some random cab driver who treats you worse than his dog and who never carries adequate change. I'd rather sacrifice my fuel to rescue you from the ultimate mistreatment. And I mean it.

|
Comments:
I really love your attitude, so gentle.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com