Monday, February 14, 2005

Here we go again

Saw some of the Grammy's last night. It's clear that they loved Ray Charles. I do think that "Record of the Year" was well deserved b/c "Here We Go Again" WAS the best song all last year and Norah Jones' voice is just heavenly (though somehow she sucked in "Across The Universe"). Billy Preston's organ solo almost made me burst out in tears because it was so breathtakingly beautiful (a close second to Stevie Wonder's harmonica solo on Tony Bennett's "Everyday I Have the Blues"). It was a night for Ray. Jamie Foxx, however, should stick to acting, because his singing was just not happening.

In sum, I think the Grammy was as fair as it could be (check out the complete winner list here). Honoring Pinetop Perkins was a good call. It's about time. Queen Latifah is a better ballad singer than she's a rapper. I was quite impressed by Los Lonely Boys. But truly, and absolutely, ALICIA KEYS STOLE THE SHOW with "If I Ain't Got You." The girl has more soul than the music industry can handle. So here I am, I say shame on you to U2, John Mayer, Black Eyed Peas, Kanye West, Justin Timberlake, Maroon 5, and especially Green Day, Alicia Keys has more soul than all of you guys combined, plus she's hot. Just go home.

Ray Charles has left a nice legacy, and Alicia Keys proved it. So watch out for Jill Scott, Mary J. Blige, and some of Beyonce's stuff.

P.S. Check out Wayne Wilentz's pop quiz on Citypaper.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com