Tuesday, January 18, 2005

The year of Ray Charles

I can't believe I could fit all those things in a 3-day weekend: bikram yoga, the Golden Globes, Leftbank, a satisfactory blues gig, several "Real Ghostbusters" episodes, lots of sleep, etc. Bikram yoga is kicking my ass, but it makes me feel good afterwards and brings more clarity in my head. It's delightful to re-watch some old "Real Ghostbusters" episodes. It reinforces my belief that cartoons back in my childhood days remain the coolest!! Its sarcastic humor beats any Pokemon or strangely deformed mutant cartoon characters these days.

The Golden Globes were also very nice. I generally liked the results. It was good to see people like Emmy Rossum (she has no ego whatsoever), Liam Neeson, Johnny Depp (with a nice new look, a la The Ninth Gate), etc. Good to see Natalie Portman and Clive Owen garner those acting awards for Closer (a flawed movie with lots of good performances). Jamie Foxx gave the most charismatic and touching speech of the evening, thanking his Grandma. If he doesn't win the Oscar, I'll jump off the Nile. Prince (wacky as usual) was right, Jamie Foxx did not just portray Ray Charles; he WAS Ray Charles. Hilary Swank gave an equally compelling speech, thanking Clint Eastwood. It will be an interesting year at the Oscars. It's a three-way race between Sideways, Million Dollar Baby, and The Aviator. Speaking of which, I still haven't seen the two latter films. Does anyone want to see them with me?

I recently re-watched the music video for "We Are The World." What a lineup! How often do you get to have that lineup? And Ray Charles sounded so good! This is not a year of the blues, it is the year of Ray Charles.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com