Friday, December 31, 2004

This whole Wes Anderson shit has gotten under my skin



Just came back from The Life Aquatic and all I have to say is "Wow!" First, screw Ebert and Roeper for not liking it. It's better than 95% of the crap released all year. Plus it's got so much heart. When was the last time you saw a movie with heart? This whole "father and son" theme has been eminent throughout Wes Anderson's works. But every time he reinforces it with a different punch. This time its quirkiness comes from Bill Murray's brilliant body language and his inactions. What makes this movie effective is that it goes deep into your emotions. Makes me want to listen to Cat Stevens.

Going to a Wes Anderson movie is sort of like a ritual now, kinda like going to a Woody Allen, Whit Stillman or Alexander Payne movie. I haven't seen Bottle Rocket, but of all three films I have seen by Anderson, it's three out of three. Not a bad track record. Critics can be a little delusional or picky at times, which I believe is the case here. But who cares? He has made a film for himself.

So come to Willie and Reed's tomorrow night. I miss my friends.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com