Wednesday, November 24, 2004

An ode to Lady Byron, DC's unsung jazz hero

I should have posted this sooner, but it was hard for me to find this information. But here is the Washington Post obituary for Lady Baron, who died in the beginning of this month.

I had never formally met Lady Byron, but I did see her last when I was with Bill Heid at the organ segment of the East Coast Jazz Festival February this year in Rockville. I remembered Bill telling me that "I've known her for years. She's a very, very nice person." Lady Byron was playing organ with Richie Cole in the festival after Bill was featured on the organ with the Gary Jenkins quartet.

Lady Byron was married to the legendary organ player Brother Jack McDuff. In addition, she has played with all the greats from Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Louis Armstrong to Ella Fitzgerald. She's a true giant of jazz and an unsung hero of the DC's jazz scene. Most of all, she will always be remembered as being a "very, very nice person."

|
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com