Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Chain restaurants suck!

I used to believe that everything's gonna be alright - terms papers will turn itself out in the last few hours before the deadline, the bank account will adjust itself, things will balance in the long run - that belief got me through high school college, and graduate school. Perhaps I was a little too optimistic.

I was walking in DC this morning to get my driver's records and I just saw people walking, staring, and walking. It seems like particles and molecules have their own time and place, but it seems like all the superfluous stuff out there just kind of stays. No one tells it to go away and you don't belong. It stays. Our way of thinking stays. Our teeny weeny bit of ostensibly meaningless existence stays. Garbage stays garbage. People don't change when you go back to your 10th year high school reunion. People don't change at train station ticket booths or post office windows. People on the metro don't exchange smiles. They just get bored in their own little world and get off the train. We live like zombies.

To make sense out of all this, people indulge themselves in materialism. Buying clothes, doing manicure, getting fake tans, going to chain restaurants. OK, pause right here, I HATE chain restaurants. Why spend $20-30 getting junk from Applebee's, TGI Fridays, Ruby Tuesdays, Red Lobster when you can enjoy a slightly more expensive porterhouse from a nice steakhouse but is going to make your stomach a little happier? There's way too much to do in life than wasting it away in chain restaurants.

So Happy Thanksgiving, y'all. It's important to give thanks. For the most part, I'm grateful. I just like to bitch a lot. Please wish me well. Please wish me well.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com