Thursday, September 16, 2004

What a wishy-washy character!



I got kinda mad yesterday. Someone told me after listening to my CD that "On a scale of 10, you're a 4 or 5. As far as amateur musicians go, that's pretty good." I'd be humble if B.B. King said that to me. But it's from a lay listener. Maybe after all I'm not that good. Maybe I'm like Charlie Brown - nobody hates me, but I'm not all that special. What a wishy-washy character!

Damn! A 4 or 5 on a 10-point scale; that's not even a passing grade.

I want to apologize to Kai for criticizing her writing the other day. In my defense, I want to say that was constructive criticism and I wanted her to improve and it was no way an attack on her mind or person. However, I knew that the damage's been done, just like that guy calling me an amateur. The difference is that in Kai's case, I'm trying to make her a better writer. In my case, this guy made his statement in a condescending manner and his intent is not to make me a better harp player (though it might have that effect ultimately).

So I want to lay this out there: Can you take criticism when you know that the person giving it means well versus someone is deliberately trying to make you feel like crap?

|
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com