Wednesday, September 01, 2004

The confession of a hipster

People in Hong Kong think I'm alternative; people in DC think I'm a hipster. In other words, I'm weird. I'm weird not because I have mental problems but because I appreciate life in an "alternative" manner, whatever that means. My co-worker (who used to live in France) thinks I should move to Paris because I'd enjoy the lifestyle there more.

But truly, I didn't choose to be hip. Listening to jazz and blues and playing the harmonica are by no means hip in this era. It may be "hip" in a restricted sense in that listening to an upright bass proves that I have an "exquisite" taste in music. I'd like to think I'm hip but when the whole generation flocks to see an Outkast concert with popcorn and stuff, I know I'm not traditionally "in."

Someone made a good point, "i don't think i'm a pretentious indie fan i just had higher expectations for humanity and their ability to hear correctly...as an adolescent I see no reason not to embrace this silly sub-culture. i will revel in my chucks as long as i feel like it."

That's precisely how I feel, because I'm not trying to target the Paris Hilton crowd as the Bush sisters did last night at the Republican Convention (even though targeting the Paris Hilton crowd may increase my chance exponentially in the girls department). The thing is, I'm not doing it to please anybody. I do it because it makes me feel good.

If that makes me alternative or indie or hip, so be it.

P.S. Due to popular demand, I'm including a link to the Bush twins' remarks from last night. Feel free to print it out and bring it to the doctor's office while you wait for your appointment, or disappointment.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com