Monday, August 16, 2004

Anti-Semitism is anti-everybody?



There's an interesting campaign in New York City against anti-Semitism by the Anti-Defamation League that has created some controversy in the city. The above posters are distributed on several hundred phone booths in the city. But why single out Jewish people? Why not have a campaign saying "Anti-Christianity is anti-me" or "Anti-Asian is anti me?" Read more about the campaign here and its opposition letter and judge it for yourself.

Also, my imaginary protege Dyske has a thought-provoking article about a similar topic. His thesis is that anti-Semitism will be greatly reduced if Jews stop treating themselves as a special breed: "Anti-Semitism will never go away as long as there are people who insist on pro-Semitism or anti-non-Semitism."

I think at this critical stage of political turmoil, we should unite together to re-defeat Bush in November, rather than having some gratitious campaign over whether something you say might offend a three-year-old Asian kid because he has the potential to be Jewish. Well, I say things that offend people all the time. Am I anti-people? Like I once wrote in my "Jewish Woman Blues" (which is now my anthem), "Why can't we all just get along?"

Please post on this issue because I want to read your precious views and see where I am on the spectrum. Long live Ali G and Sammy Davis Jr.!

|
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com