Sunday, April 25, 2004

Your mind's on vacation and your mouth's working overtime

A non-musical weekend for me, which was refreshing and nice. I even skipped the Meridian Ensemble Arts concert at Library of Congress. So it was a great opportunity to clear my head, rethink my priorities, and reminisce about old times. This is my seasonal anti-social mode, which usually happens after tremendous fun or remarkable defeat. When I was a kid, I didn't understand what "mood" was, nor did I acknowledge its existence. I just knew it was some kind of chemical trying to wrinkle my heart. Now, I have a much better control of my mood; but sometimes when moodswing hits, there ain't nothing you can do.

How ridiculous the media is focusing on Beckham's cheating affair, John Kerry's presidential candidacy, or who is getting snubbed on American Idol. I can care less about any of the above. Everybody I know is in a state of anxiety: final exams, job search, trying to get by this crazy weather (sudden drop of 30 degrees in temperature). Ed's career move to England didn't work out. Now he's living in Ireland with Sven. Life is so uncertain. I started to read Dharma Bums hoping to be slightly enlightened. Also rented some of my favorite films like Before Sunrise to try to capture some old feelings that I've lost. I regretted I never did anything crazy at a time where I was supposed to do something crazy. For me to do it now would be unthinkably nuts. Maybe I'm trying to re-live my youth, but that's not it.

In midst of ennui and lack of motivation, I did find myself sipping a cup of coffee and having some fancy dessert in Cafe Luche in Georgetown. While everyone requested a seat outside (close to the sun), I insisted on sitting in a booth inside, enjoying the A/C, reading my Kerouac novel, and laughing at pretentious people who try to discuss politics under the umbrellas. In my mind, tank-tops, tube-tops and flip-flops began to emerge with Chad & Jeremy's A Summer Song playing in the background. And then I thought about my San Francisco trip, people who I went to high school with, and my first time in DC (back in 1994).

At the time of publishing this entry, I received an e-mail from a lady who said she was delighted to get the CD I sold on eBay, because it reminded her of her Hawaiian honeymoon. Ed also wrote this:

"i have been brokenhearted but on recovery.
kissed my first girl after my breakup last night.
sven and i went to this 70's party in dublin, and i met this italian girl
who wanted to kiss me. her lips were beautiful...
overall, it was a good night, and i needed one of those nights.
i haven't had that in a while."

DC is such an unromantic place.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com